Monday, September 22, 2014

Tuesday's Tails: Olaf and Elsa, Two Special Needs Kitties

Though kitten season is finally coming to an end, there are TONS of kitties in this area that are in need of homes!  Most shelters around Iowa seem to be overflowing with adorable kittens just waiting for you to find them and bring them home.  Including Olaf and Elsa, a brother and sister searching for a very special person to adopt them.  (All photos courtesy of PAWS Humane Society.)

Here is handsome Olaf...

The siblings' mama came into the PAWS Humane Society in Charles City, IA pregnant, resulting in 5 kittens.  Two of those kittens were very special...you see, Olaf and Elsa were born with a neurological condition that causes wobbling when they walk.  The shelter descriptions were unspecific, but this definitely sounds like cerebellar hypoplasia to me.  (Emily over at Kitty Cat Chronicles can correct me if I'm wrong, though.  Her kitty Sophie has this condition, and Emily writes amazing posts about it quite often!)

...and gorgeous Elsa!

Elsa and Olaf have a pretty mild case, however, and they still get along and play just fine.  They are approximately 4 months old, and as you can see, they're absolutely beautiful!  They can either be adopted together or separately, but they would love another playmate to run around with.  And don't be scared off by the "special needs pet" label - this pair is perfectly healthy otherwise and just need a home where they'll get a little extra TLC!

Snuggles!

For more information on adopting Olaf or Elsa (or both!), please contact PAWS.

Psst!  Did you notice that the blog is wearing a new outfit for fall?!  So far, I am loving the purple.  What do you think?




9 comments:

  1. I would love to see them adopted together, they're such a cute pair. I love the purple, it looks great. Hoping Elsa & Olaf (I love those names) find a great home soon, sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jen! I love the names too - my niece is obsessed with Frozen :)

      Delete
  2. It would be great if Elsa and Olaf got adopted together. I hope people aren't to afraid of adopting this pair because of their challenges. Adopting special needs animals is so rewarding. Sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely agree with you, Mark! It's definitely a special person who opens their heart and home to special-needs cats and dogs!

      Delete
  3. They are precious!!! I so wish I could take them. Thanks for the shout out by the way. As for whether or not they have CH, it sounds like it definitely could be. However, there are also several other conditions out there that are similar. A vet would probably be able to tell. EITHER WAY - whatever they have, I know they will make wonderful pets! My CH girl Sophie has been a huge blessing - if only people knew! I hope they find the purrfect home, together. Sending lots of love and purrs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - regardless of what the condition is, they would obviously be amazing pets! I love your posts about Sophie - she's so inspiring. Thank you so much for your kind words <3

      Delete
  4. I hopr they get adopted soon! Sharing them!

    ReplyDelete