Friday, August 28, 2015

Lucy's Story

The noises came in the middle of the night.  I didn't get up to investigate, but my fur-sister Roxie did, and so did My Person and My Lady.  There was a lot of banging and shouting - I was afraid, so I pretended I was still asleep.  "Open the door or I'll smash your face in!" a voice yelled from outside.  The voice was mean-sounding and scary, and it wouldn't stop.  It was yelling words I couldn't understand.

"Call 911!" I heard My Person say.  I could sense his fear and wanted to help...but my back legs were so sore...and my bed was so comfortable.  The noises got quieter, then stopped.  I did a big yawn and tried to blink the gunk out of my eyes.

Suddenly there was a loud thud from the next room.  I heard my sister Roxie whine.  What was happening?  The smell of the house had changed - something was wrong.  Minutes passed, and I tried to go help, but my legs kept giving out beneath me.  Why were there strangers in my house?  Where were they taking My Lady?

My Lady didn't come back the next day, or the next.  And something was wrong with My Person.  Roxie and I licked his hands, nudged at his legs, but we couldn't make it better.  People came to the house, lots of people - some I knew, some I didn't.  Some of them brought big platters and covered containers that smelled really good...but I couldn't eat.  I didn't know why.  My chest felt tight and the goop in my eyes was worse.

And somewhere deep down inside, I knew My Lady was not coming back.

Everyone sat around the table and talked in quiet voices, and The Girl sat beside me.  I did not even lift my head to look at her, or thump my tail when she talked to me.  I didn't care.  She tried to wipe my eyes with a wet cloth, but I wanted to be left alone.  As I walked to the door to be let outside, I couldn't make it and I went all over the kitchen floor.  I didn't mean to.

Dogs have dignity, too, you know.  I had just lost mine, and I was ashamed.  I wouldn't look My Person in the eyes after that - I had done a bad thing.

I hung out in the back room for the rest of the day.  I was so thirsty, but when I tried to drink, it would come right back up.  Something was wrong.  The Girl and The Boy loaded me in the car and took me to the vet.  I don't like going there, but the doctor was kind and gentle, and I thumped my tail as he poked me with needles and spoke quietly to me.

Days passed.  The Girl and Boy visited sometimes, and so did My Person.  For him, I managed to get to my feet and say hello.  But as soon as he left, I couldn't anymore.  I was so tired.

I knew that my sister Roxie would look out for My Person.  She could be annoying sometimes, but she was smart, and she was loyal.  He would be okay with her.


For those of you who don't believe in the Rainbow Bridge, I can assure you that it exists.  And now I am with My Lady again.  We watch TV together like we used to, and I thump thump thump my tail while she scratches my ears.  My legs don't hurt anymore...I can even run again.  I miss My Person, but I'll see him again one day.  And until then, I'll be here, waiting, with My Lady.  Thump thump thump.



I feel a little weird about sharing this, but writing helps me cope - maybe this will help you too.  Three weeks ago, a drunk stranger tried to break into my husband's grandparents' house.  He had no idea who they were, but threatened to steal their car and physically harm them.  In the middle of calling the police, my husband's grandma collapsed with a heart attack and passed away a few hours later.  She was 68 and a wonderful woman.  Four days later, their 8-year-old Lab Lucy died of kidney failure...and a broken heart.  This is her story.  

28 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful piece - so haunting and surreal. Please don't feel weird about sharing it - it was absolutely perfect and came from your heart - xoxo from Deb, Mr. Jazz, Purr Prints of the Heart, and the Zee/Zoey Gang

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Deb, and thanks for hosting such an amazing event!

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry to learn about your losses. My heart goes out to Lucy's person because I know he misses Lucy and her lady very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really does...we all do :( Thank you, Beth!

      Delete
  3. I am so very sorry for your loss both human and animal.
    Purrs to you on this day of remembrance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a sad story about the bad the one human can do to others but sharing this is really a story of light and that we all find one another when our times come, over the Rainbow Bridges.
    Purrs and Prayers of support from us all
    Timmy Dad and Family

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a very strong believer in the Rainbow Bridge! :) Thank you for your kind words.

      Delete
  5. wow what a story. that must have been very hard for you. you will see her again some day. till then keep smiling and keep blogging if it helps. ill be back to read more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writing definitely does help :) Thank you so much for reading.

      Delete
  6. A beautiful retelling of such a sad story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sad. So touching. Thanks for sharing. I like to believe my dad is with his dog Ruby.
    --Wags (and purrs) from Life with Dogs and Cats

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no doubt that he is! Thanks so much for reading <3

      Delete
  8. Typing through tears, here. I'm so sorry for your loss. This was an amazing way to express your feelings and I thank you for sharing them with us today. Sending loving thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sad, thank you for sharing this story!
    -Spencer the Goldendoodle

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how awful, I'm so very sorry for your tragic loss. I can't believe what you and your husband's family have had to go through. Thank you for sharing this heartfelt story of love and loss, I know it must not have been easy to share it. I believe Lucy and her Lady are together at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Love & Biscuits,
    Dogs Luv Us and We Luv Them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was not easy to write, but I think it helped me in the end. Thank you for your sweet words.

      Delete
  11. This is beautifully written. It's so tragic and touching at the same time. I hope writing brought you a sense of peace.

    Jean from Welcome to the Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing. Bad things happen sometimes. It can be healing and uplifting to see the positive that comes out of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In this case, it was hard for any of us to see a silver lining...but writing this definitely helped me. Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  13. what a terrible story. You must be traumatised. It is good that you are sharing the story and that your life is going on. Lucy looks such a kind and gentle dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you for saying that - she was an AMAZING dog. One of the sweetest I've ever known. Thank you for reading <3

      Delete
  14. What an awful thing. I'm so sorry and wish you all the best. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete