Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Small-Town Living Has Gone to the Dogs

My husband and I live in a small town where nearly every family owns a dog.  Now, in many cases, this could cause all sorts of problems:  dogs who won't stop barking, off-leash dogs, bite cases, poop left on sidewalks...the list goes on.  But I love that my town has such a large population of dogs.  Incredibly, we have never had much of an issue with any of the neighborhood pups, and aside from our neighbor's friendly poodle mix and one wandering Lab, we've never even seen any off-leash dogs!


The small-town, "everyone knows everyone" vibe here is great, too.  The same people walk their dogs every morning, when the air is a little chilly and the grass is wet and cloaked with a layer of fog.  And the same people walk them at night; no need to use reflective harnesses or clothing here - there are rarely any cars on the road.  We make eye contact, smile, exchange sympathetic glances when one of us is kneeling to pick up after our dog.  We know which dog to steer clear of on the sidewalk and which ones like to give sloppy kisses.  Sometimes we even know the names of the neighbor's dogs and not the names of the neighbors themselves!  We always pick up after our dogs, not only because it's the right thing to do, but also because our former gym teacher might see us out of his window, or because it might get stepped in by the lady who has cut your hair since you were 14.


I'm not sure about the other residents of this town, but I always look forward to the noon and six-o'clock whistle...because the neighborhood dogs go nuts!  I crack up every time I hear one lone Beagle start howling in tune with the whistle, then slowly, the other dogs join in.  I don't get annoyed by the resident Basset Hound's barking, if only because it makes Riley's ears perk up in the most adorable way (though the yipping Yorkie that visits every once in a while...that's a different story).  I love taking Riley on walks past different houses and knowing I'll see the poodle's head pop up, the  Pittie's nose nudge the curtains open, and I'll hear the Westie's low, gruff barks as soon as he hears the jingle of Riley's collar.  It's always something fun to look forward to :)

How do you feel about your neighborhood's dogs?  Are they friend or are they foe?


I'm participating in the Thoughtless Thursday hop, hosted by Ruckus the Eskie and Owned by a Husky!




9 comments:

  1. I really miss that part of living in a proper neighborhood. When I was young and living at home I grew up in areas like that - I'd know which dogs were coming up, so I knew what to look out for (or forward to). Now I live out in a rural area where we barely have any neighbors and I can't see peoples homes from the street because they're set so far back. It's so different. I do miss that "community" feeling though, I know what you're talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in a small town as well, however we do have those problems...people don't scoop their poop, dogs off lead where they shouldn't be etc etc....
    ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really know if we just got really lucky or if I just haven't noticed these types of problems...either way, I'm counting my blessings :)

      Delete
  3. We don't actually have that many dogs in this small town. The only one we've had any problem with was a neighbor's little dog that was always threatening us and always outside without a leash. So glad when that dog moved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy small town living with dogs, too! Especially being able to walk in the middle of the roads because traffic is so very light.

    We don't have town whistles, but we do have periodic tsunami warning tests that get all the town's dogs howling. I really should record it some day. No one can hear what the warning message speaker is saying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That's some loud howling! And yes, totally agree about the middle of the road walking...it's rare for cars to drive down our street unless it's neighbors coming home from work, and we only have one stop sign in the entire town. Gotta love small towns! :)

      Delete
  5. That's great that everyone seems to have a sense of responsibility. It is not that way at all in our town. We have so many irresponsible people that it doesn't always make having other dogs around very fun. Normally I just feel bad for the dogs and what their owners are subjecting them to.

    We don't have a whistle, but every day at 4 pm the base plays the National Anthem. Mauja and Atka finally aren't scared of it (unless we get caught right by a speaker on our walk), but it's so funny listening to the other dogs bark and howl along with the music :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm we have a few huskies and wolfdog next door but they are quite calm. The pitbull puppy nearby just makes lots of noises. No vicious dogs of concern here so far. Happy Thoughtless Thursday, Ruckus the Eskie

    ReplyDelete
  7. So funny. I know what you mean about knowing the names of the dogs before you learn the names of their people.

    Wags (and purrs) from Life with Dogs and Cats

    ReplyDelete