Friday, May 2, 2014

Cyber Saturday

They say a watched pot never boils; it can also be said that a watched cell phone never rings.  This week absolutely slithered by for me, mostly because I was waiting excitedly for several phone calls/emails that never came.  I clutched my phone to my side throughout the entire week - I seriously felt like I was back in the tenth grade and waiting for my crush to call and ask me to the winter formal.  It was ridiculous.  I am so very glad the week is over.  And after a particularly rough day, I am always grateful that I have a pet - Riley always knows when I am down, leaving his "daddy's" side to come lay with me.  What a sweetheart.  :)  Here's the links from around the web that I found interesting this week!

People don't think of overfeeding their dog as a form of abuse...but take a look at the photo above, and you might change your mind!  Poor Obie is a dachshund who, due to previous owners, ballooned up to 71 pounds!  Thanks to a dedicated foster family, he is now down to a comparatively svelte 30.  Great job, Obie - you look amazing!!

Generally, we tend to think of service dogs as assisting the blind.  However, service dogs are becoming more and more typical lately, for a huge variety of disabilities:  epilepsy, autism, and issues with mental/emotional health.  This amazing post is about one woman's service dog and how much he has helped her cope with everyday life.  Definitely inspiring!

I stumbled across this blog last week and was struck by this post in particular.  It's all about how one pit bull terrier at a shelter helped this woman's son, who has autism.  Thanks to this dog, her son is more able to communicate with others and make sense of emotional cues in conversation; he loves being around the dog because he doesn't feel judged - he can be himself.  The way dogs can help improve the symptoms of autism really amazes me - I can't wait to learn more about it through this blog!

This sweet face is that of Lil' Bub, who was born a "perma-kitten" and a dwarf.  She has no teeth, some extra toes, and is so cute I can't even stand it.  Check out more photos of her on her Facebook page!


Lisa's dad has Alzheimer's, and he is not able to communicate with her anymore.  This video shows how he responds to her dog.  (Warning:  You will need a tissue.  Or seven.)

And don't forget to check out my other blog - my most recent posts involve the perks of living in a small town and the best books to read when you're in the mood for a scare!

Have a great weekend!
xoxochelsea



No comments:

Post a Comment